I finally finished listening to “RuPaul’s What’s The Tee? with Michelle Visage” podcast episodes five and six last Saturday. It’s a bit challenging for me to find the time to listen to podcasts or audiobooks because I need to pay 100% attention so I can focus on what’s being said and really process it. Otherwise, it’ll be like music … or white noise. So the day before my short road trip to Seattle for an event, instead of building a music play list … I downloaded all my Podcast to my smartphone.
What I like about Ru’s and Michelle’s podcast is that, aside from learning bits and pieces of the RuPaul Universe, I get to pick up some really good life lessons from both of them, and some validation from my observations about the show and my opinion about the show’s contestants. Remember that old adage, “if you have nothing nice to say, say it anyway“? lol, I made that one up. Well, if it’s harsh, sugarcoat it a little. But there’s no point in pretending you agree with somebody … patronizing or “keeping it to yourself” if you know somebody needs a reality check … not saying anything is worse. It’s for people who don’t give an F or are fake.
This is why I like Michelle Visage … she says it like it is, but in a motherly way. It’s also interesting to know that Michelle and RuPaul don’t necessarily agree with everything. Unlike how she’s portrayed as a “Yes Ru” on the show.
RuPaul and Michelle are joined by the show’s very first special guest, Lucian Piane – RuPaul’s album producer and Drag Race judge. In this episode they talked about the commercialization of talk radio, Lucian’s experience from working on the show, music album creation process – specifically with RuPaul’s “Born Naked” album, and relationships.
There are so many tangents in the podcast, that it’s difficult to pin down a single main topic! My highlight for this episode are:
- Michelle Visage was RuPaul’s first choice as judge on RuPaul’s Drag Race Season one, but she was under contract with a gig in Florida. And that she felt she let RuPaul down. But other than that she and RuPaul never really had any big falling out. Awww BFFs for life!
- Lucian Piane can shake his bon-bon. That I would like recorded and posted on YouTube.
- RuPaul and Lucian meet on the streets of New York, twice … before they end up working together.
- RuPaul was laughing at Michelle Visage, that’s sorta how their friendship started #cute.
- RuPaul says he has never changed, only the people around him. Arsenio Hall made a similar statement while on The Celebrity Apprentice Season 12 … he said he had plenty of friends when his show was on but they dwindled after it was cancelled.
- RuPaul gave Michelle Visage the book “The Power of Now” by Eckhart Tolle, and it helped her overcome her personal struggles. #iBoughtItOn_iTunes.
“Not everybody comes into your life for the long haul. Some people come for very short and you learn your lesson and they’re gone. And you have to make peace with that, I think. Some people struggle so hard to get that person back – whether as a friend, lover, or otherwise. And it’s like, no baby … no no no. You have to let that go. Because what you needed from them, what you’re meant to get from them, was just this. Just this. And now it’s over.” ~ Michelle Visage
- RuPaul’s Drag Race Battle of the Season (RuPaul BOTS) only picks from a pool of fifteen Drag Race alumnae because everybody’s busy! And four of them needs to be “checked” for being delusional. lol … Carmen Carrera is one of them.
Then there’s the ones that buys into the hype of the show. And think that they really are Lady Gaga or Madonna. And it’s like “No bitch.” Carmen would go through this, uh, Carrera would go through this things of “We should be doing like a forty million dollar tour. Like they should be like really big. Why are we doing these small cities.” (Carmen Carrera) I’m like, honey no no no no. We’re not there yet. We’ve got little steps, baby steps before. We’ve gotta build up. Like in their heads its really delusional.” ~ Michelle Visage
“You have to prepare when the show’s over.” ~ Michelle Visage
“You cannot save someone from themselves.” ~ RuPaul
“Some people are fun happy drunks. Some people are mean evil drunk. But you’ll never know until you get them drunk.” ~ RuPaul
- Michelle Visage worked at a strip club to pay her bills. And she’s cool with it. Werk!