Before 2015 arrives, I’d like to take this opportunity to take a little bit of a breather and look back at what bluebay700.com has accomplished this year. And later talk about new goals for the upcoming year …
(takes a deep breath) The busy collage above is a snapshot of what went down in 2014 … yes, it’s just a sample. The RuPaul’s Drag Race skyline outline in the middle indicates how many times I’ve meet the queens in the list (the full historical list is here) … which means I’ve meet Manila Luzon and Pandora Boxx the most this year, four times each! And as shown, the bigger the rectangle, the more major that event is for me personally
I feel a bit overwhelmed just by looking at it. This year I’ve covered a total of eighty eight events in Vancouver (BC), Seattle, and Hollywood … mainly a mix of drag shows, special events, and private photo shoots. Sh*t! I can’t believe myself that I’ve done all these. What can I say … it’s a hobby gone mad! LOL
2014 was a year of breakthroughs … I’ve been devirginized in so many ways (non-sexually). I covered my first drag beauty pageant – “Miss U.T.O.P.I.A.“, drag shows – “BenDeLaCrem is TERMINALLY DELIGHTFUL“, Spice Girls DRAG Shadow Cast, and “The Robbie Turner Revue“, TV show premiere viewing party – “The Amazing Race Canada : Season 2“, drag show benefit – “LEO PARTY XI“, cosplay/burlesque event – “Super SMASH Bros EXTREME Vengeance Smashdown Tournament!“, and a bunch of private photo shoots with drag queens, cosplayers, and male models.
Tangent time: It is so rewarding to experience all these events and be able share it with other fans. I especially get a kick from fans’ (and stars’) reaction when they see photos I took of them during meet and greets. It is also a thrill to get enthusiastic feedback from photo shoot models. A bunch of likes in social media is nothing compared to the satisfaction one gets from a pleased model. That in itself IS a reward. Each project is an opportunity to hone one’s skill. So as a THANK YOU, I help beat the drum … sharing event photos, events schedules, merch, and experiences through social media. Help keep the fire burning… so to speak. I don’t get paid to do this. In fact I always pay my way in, VIP if I can afford it, as a way to help make the event a commercial success. And hopefully more shows get booked! And … I feel like, as soon as one gets paid to do what I do, the dynamic changes … one changes from patron to worker bee. I don’t want pressure and stress in this area, I’m already tensed from being starstruck and jumpy from the RedBull, see? lol This is a hobby, after all.
Of all the events I’ve covered in 2014 there are a handful that I consider major milestones, for me personally and for bluebay700.com as a lifestyle magazine.
- Meeting RuPaul in person and having to spend seven minutes talking to him was higher than cloud 9. RuPaul got so much wisdom and class. Anyone can learn a lot from what he has to say, not just drag. His show, music, and wisdom has helped kept the sun shinning on me. Ya know what they say about apples and doctors? Well, there’s RuPaul and the blues.
- Meeting Michelle Visage was so euphoric. The experience is hard to put into words, but the feeling is like … as if she’s mother #2 … just by being there. To me she’s like the biological woman version of RuPaul, lol. One can learn a lot from her wisdom.
- Derrick Barry is the first drag queen I ever followed. This was before I knew anything about RuPaul and RuPaul’s Drag Race. I followed Derrick in MySpace, way back when, but I never had the chance to see him perform in Las Vegas, even with all my road trips to the Sin City when I was still living in California. To finally meet him in person and see him perform was an amazing feeling.
- The Robbie Turner Revue – I’ve written so many times about how Robbie Turner deserves to have her own show because of her amazing talent as a drag entertainer and as a natural comedian … then BAM! … a show at the Hard Rock Cafe in Seattle happened. To experience her show was such a joy!
- bluebay700.com started the “Uhmazing” series, to highlight exceptional talent from “everyday” people. The site has published three in 2014: Kevin Free, Anita Wigl’it, and Atasha Manila. A new Uhmazing article will be released soon just in time for the New Year! So stay tuned for this …
- bluebay700.com’s “Presenting”, drag photo profiling series, is on fire. There are a bunch of albums in the works! I have continued to showcase Atasha Manila, since she is such a natural at modeling, great wardrobe and mug, and is such a great person to work with. I also give props to Kitty (Jordan Miller) for the same attributes that really impressed me.
Lastly, around summer this year I was toying with the idea about inviting guest writers to bluebay700.com to write about events that aligns with the site’s coverage … then bam! GayWeHo came into the picture … albeit, casually. I’m so delighted!
Oh, I have to give a special mention to the City of Vancouver for letting me shoot (take photos) from the “roof top” of City Hall. That was a great experience!
bluebay700.com is my perfect bubble and refuge, it’s the light that shines the brightness in the void. And I feel so fortunate to have a following and cohorts that are inspiring, and so wonderful to interact and work with.
Without being so dramatic … I thank you all. You know who you are!
2015 Wish List
So for 2015 bluebay700.com has a slew of sickening photo releases in the pipeline, a crazy article in the works in time for NYE 2015, more retroactive photo releases from previous events, and more site upgrades being planned. I’m thrilled in anticipation of the next batch of queens to come to Vancouver and Seattle, aside from the official upcoming events.
Goals, it sounds rigid … let’s say, “wish list” … I have a short wish list for 2015: Raven, Raja, Tatiana, Minerva Markos, “secret” Kitty idea/project, more RuPaul’s Drag Race Season 1, Marco Marco Collection 4, and (drum roll) … RuPaul’s Drag Race Season Finale Red Carpet. Is it possible? We’ll see. Like … I was just thinking about meeting RuPaul early 2014 then … BAM …. sh*t happened.
Universe, hear me!
Thanks again to everyone for all the support and opportunity! I’m truly humbled and honored. (curtsy)