Social media is a tool, not a residence. Here are some notes I keep in mind when building my online presence.
1. So u trust a single company to safekeep all ur #passwords, from banks to email, for convenience? where’s the common sense in that?
2. Single #identity across channels makes a #brand #consistent & easier to remember. multiple #logo only confuses target audience.
3. Pick the most appropriate #socialmedia platform, not everything. It’s just more work for low impact. #specialization.
4. #socialmedia should be used as tools to bring ur audience to ur HQ, and not just to increase ad revenue to the service.
5. #socialmedia #engagement is meaningful uf ur audience is actually getting ur message, & not just pumping Facebook’s ad revenue.
6. A highly active #socialmedia account benefits the app first, and u … well, it depends.
7. Own ur content… don’t just post it anywhere! all publications must lead to only one record of truth… your own site. #CMS
8. #socialmedia don’t get caught up in the #hype – #cloud, #personalStreaming. stop, think, & strategize.
9. BEWARE of catch & bait subscription services, i.e. anything #cloud. keep ur assets close & in-house. #noStrings #lessHeadaches
10. #socialmedia do you wanna do it fast or do you wanna do it right?
11. #socialmedia scheduled broadcast is only beneficial if u r very regional not global. it’s always 8:00am somewhere.
12. #socialmedia leave it to #search. Scheduled updates is a relic of the analog TV era. What’s the point of #tagging then?
13. #socialmedia is almost real life if not “real-er.” ur feels, intent, and reactions are real, aren’t they? #respect
14. #socialmedia remember the lessons u learned w/ @MySpace. Nothing lasts forever, even Terms of Service. Build ur own. Own ur #CMS.
15. #socialmedia if u value ur interactions, ur updates… back it up!
16. #socialmedia #RuPaul once said “Edit.” If you change ur mind, edit or delete it.
17. #socialmedia publications are harder to use as proof of copyright. Own ur record of truth.
18. #socialmedia grow your audience #organically. Artificially inflating your base is a sign of dishonesty, shady intentions, … and unscrupulous behavior.
19. and to close this off … #socialmedia be consistent, self-sufficient, self-serving, & spontaneous. Keep #commonSense close.